Wednesday 11 June 2008

In line searching in Eclipse & IE7

I hate the search pop up window you get when you type Ctrl-F in many applications.

I searched for an add-on but eventually found that Eclipse already provide it but under the odd title of 'Incremental Find'

Type Ctrl-J and the words 'Incremental Find' will appear at the bottom of your window.

Simply type away with the text you want to search for.
The cursor will automatically jump to the next occurance of that string.

Ctrl-J will then make the cursor jump too the next.
Shift-Ctrl-J will jump backwards.

And I have just discoverred this. If you type the search word
all in lower case then the search is case insensitive. If you mix case then the search is case specific.

It had been bugging me that IE7 was the same.
Then I found this add-on
After a quick try it appears to do the job.

4 comments:

Andrew Beacock said...

Nice! I've been bothered by that as well since starting to use Eclipse.
One extra thing: hit <ESCAPE> when you are finished cycling through the find results if you want to perform a search for some other term.

Anonymous said...

Yes, thanks for the tip. Only shame is I think this is for Java files only. Oh and Ctrl-Shift-J finds previous for me, not Ctrl-Alt-J.

Bill Comer said...

quite correct Anon.
Must have a slip of the finger !

Updated.
Thx

Bill Comer said...

updated to show case sensitive searching