Thursday 21 October 2010

SQLdeveloper & showing the full date

I keep getting this every time I install SQLDeveloper.

The date shown is just dd/mm/yyyy with no hours:minutes:seconds

The solution can be found here on Zenx's blog, but to save me looking here it is also.

1. From SQL Developer, open menu Tools >> Preferences.
2. From the Preferences dialog, select Database >> NLS Parameters from the left panel.
3. From the list of NLS parameters, enter DD-MON-RR HH24:MI:SS into the Date Format field.
4. Save and close the dialog, done!

Thanks Zenx.

Also, if you want milli-seconds add ':SSSSS' at the end.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For whatever the reason, this does not appear to work in my copy of SQL Developer 3. I have to change the NLS_DATE_FORMAT setting myself every time I log in:

ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MI:SS'

Bill Comer said...

Hmmm, not sure why that would be. I am on only 2.1.1.64

app_engine said...

Excellent, thanks!

Unknown said...

I put the 2 suggestions together and they worked - meaning, under Tools/Preferences/Database/NLS for Date Format, I entered DD/MM/YYYY HH24:MI:SS and that seemed to save and work correctly so you don't have to set it each new session.